Home » Resources
Category Archives: Resources
Week 8: Social media
Week 9: Tech Ethics
Week 10: Platform Capitalism
Week 11: Commodification of Information
Week 12: Publics & Manifesto Outlines
- Sign up and login to Hypothesis
- Join our CAC Workshop Annotation Group
- Annotate Articles in Course Schedule
- Annotation Sidebar will appear on right side of articles
Throughout the semester we will be annotating several articles with an online tool called Hypothes.is. Hypothes.is can be used publicly or in private-facing groups. We will be annotating in a group so our annotations are only visible to our class. Read the directions below or watch this how-to video to learn how to use Hypothes.is.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Hypothes.is annotation works MUCH BETTER on a computer or tablet. It DOES NOT work well on a phone.
Why we Annotate
In this class, reading is not a passive activity. Using annotation we will comment on the texts as we read them. We will be able to read and respond to each others comments, AKA annotations. A few guidelines for annotating are below.
Annotate passages that:
- You think are important. Why is this part important? How does it connect to the main idea of the article? Use your annotation to share your thoughts.
- You don’t understand. Highlight/annotate to ask a question. I bet other people have the same question or are confused too!
- That you agree or disagree with. Highlight/annotate to tell us why.
Setting Up Hypothes.is
To join and setup Hypothes.is, follow the steps below.
Once you have a username, sign in to your hypothes.is account.
Click the following link to join our course group: CAC Workshop Hypothes.is Group
To annotate using Hypothes.is follow the steps below.
Sign In: First, make sure you are signed into hypothes.is and logged into our group.
Go to Group: The title at the top of annotation sidebar tells you what area or group you are annotating within. If you are not in any group, it will say Public. To get into our group click the word Public and select our group (“CAC-test”) from the list. If our group name does not appear, you have not been added. You will need to click this link to get added to our group. Once you click this link, you will see our group in the drop-down menu of the annotation sidebar.
Annotate: Visit our Course Schedule to find the articles to annotate. Click one of the articles. You will be taken to a new page with the article and the annotation sidebar. Look at the sidebar title to confirm that you are in our group area. Use your cursor to highlight a piece of text you would like to annotate. Click “Annotate” from the pop-up that appears over the highlighted text. Write your annotation in the sidebar and post it to our group area.
All posts should be AT LEAST 250 words. You can create posts in two ways:
1. When viewing the “front end” of the site, hover over “+New” and Post.
2. Or, in the dashboard, visit the “Posts” area and click the “Add New” button on the top left.
Once you are in the post editor, add a post title and content. Remember to categorize and tag your post. Once complete, click Publish to make it live!